Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Lent

This really is my last post until Easter! As we enter into Lent, we pray particularly for those who are going to be baptised or received into the Church at Easter, that they may be granted great courage, perseverance and true conversion of heart. I'm particularly privileged this year as one of my best friends is being baptised, and has asked me to be his godfather.

As I reflected on the Baptismal promises, it struck me how stark the contrast is between the rejection of Satan, and the acceptance of life in God. In the desert, this contrast suddenly becomes very clear. Perhaps we can forget that as well as being a privileged place of encounter with God, the desert is also the enemy's home turf (well, ok, home sand, if you object to my mixing metaphors :). The Prince of Darkness actively seeks to prevent us from our desire for Lenten conversion.

For me, I find it is essential to make concrete commitments to prayer, fasting and almsgiving, and then to pray continually for the grace to remain absolutely faithful to those commitments, no matter what obstacles I may encounter. In this way, I can stand up to the enemy, strong in faith. If I keep the focus on myself and my struggles with the Lenten commitments, I will generally fail, but if I always keep in mind the goal of Lent (and of life), which is Christ, He will grant me the grace to persevere in my journey towards Him.

May the Lord also grant you a great increase in faith this Lent, that you may draw closer to Him and enter ever more deeply into the paschal mystery.

4 comments:

catholicandgop said...

My dad is going to be accepted into the church this easter as well. I'm really excited, I'm not his sponsor, but I've been going to RCIA with him.

God bless, see you on the other side of Lent.

Gildas said...

Yes, saw the wonderful pics of the rite of election on your blog and said a prayer for him. May the Lord bless you richly this Lent as well.

Kacy said...

Thank you for your prayers. We converts certainly need them.

Lumen Christi said...

Great post Gildas!