Sunday, November 26, 2006

Speaking the truth in a spirit of love

I've been thinking about a line from the reading at Lauds today. "By speaking the truth in a spirit of love, we must grow up in every way to Christ, who is the head". I think one of the priests on the Fishers of Men DVD had this in mind when he was speaking about Pope John Paul the Great. He said something like "He taught us how to be priests. He taught us that being a priest is standing in the truth, in love".

Powerful words, that I find difficult to live out. I often find myself speaking less than the full truth in the name of "pastoral sensitivity" or, on the other hand, speaking the truth bluntly, but without sufficient love. Reflecting on this passage has helped me to see more clearly how growing to know the Truth (as in growing to know Him in my heart) has helped me to grow in proclaiming Him with some tiny measure of His love. As I continue to place all my trust in Him and grow in every way to Him I hope (in the deepest sense) that I will stand ever more firmly in the truth, in love.

No comments: