Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Prayerful experience

I recently visited a Benedictine monastery. The nuns were among the most amazing people I have ever met. They radiated such peace, it was beyond belief. I asked one of the nuns what she thought the secret of their peace was. She said "freedom from the obssession with the things that the world holds dear". I asked her about prayer and the role it plays. She responded that "prayer is like breathing". "You can't live without breathing and we can't live without prayer!"
They reminded me of the convent of Little Sisters of the Poor which is very near my home. They too radiate a wonderful peace. And they too, despite being an active order, put prayer first. Just like those Benedictine nuns they have regular adoration and are up early in the morning (5am!) to pray.
Blessed Mother Teresa was once asked how they did all the work they do. She responded "every morning we have an hour's adoration of the Blessed Sacrament. Without that hour we are nothing and we are capable of nothing".

Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament is the strength of the Saints and the solace of the weak and sinful (me!). I certainly came away from those beautiful Benedictine sisters thinking "I've got a lot to learn here!"
Thanks sisters for waking me up to the importance of regular and disciplined prayer, even if it means getting up a little earlier!

No comments: